NationalOnlineSafety Some useful links for parents of children on Social Media.
Be Internet Sharp and Think before you Share
Know what's OK to share and what's not OK.
Be Internet Alert and Check it's for Real
Spot the clues for what's real, fake, misleading or a scam online.
Be Internet Secure and Protect Your Stuff
Learn how to keep information secure and create strong passwords.
Be Internet Kind and Respect Each Other
Understand what it means to be kind online and respect other people's privacy.
Be Internet Brave and When in Boubt, Discuss
Ask for help from a parent or trusted adult with tricky situations online.
Explore Interland, a free online game that makes learning about digital safety exciting. Visit g.co/Interland
At Rufford Primary School we are committed to the protection of the children in our care. Threats can come from many places so here are some useful websites and ideas from the children about being safe when using the Internet.
Helpful tips to stay safe online
Discuss as a family how the Internet will be used in your house. Consider what information should be kept private (such as personal information, photos etc) and decide rules for making and meeting online friends. Make sure you know what your child is doing online much like you would offline.
• Discuss using strong passwords with your child so they understand how they can protect their online accounts. It is important they know they need to keep their passwords safe and not share them with anyone or use the same password for several accounts. If your child's account is 'hacked' make sure they change their password and report any suspicious activity.
• Install antivirus software, secure your Internet connection and use Parental Control functions for computers, mobile phones and games consoles to block unsuitable content or contact. Always remember that parental control tools are not always 100 per cent effective and sometimes unsuitable content may get past them, so don't rely on them alone to protect your child.
• Consider locating your computers and laptops in a family area where children's online activity can be monitored. Supervise the use of webcams and any applications or devices which allow voice or video chat. Also consider the use and location of other devices which allow internet access such as tablets, mobile phones and games consoles.
• Talk to your child and ask them to show or even teach you how they use the Internet, learn which websites or tools they like to use and why. Learning together with your child can often open opportunities to discuss safe behaviour online.
• Always ensure your child knows how to block and report people online who may send nasty or inappropriate messages or content. Encourage your child not to retaliate or reply and to keep any evidence.
• Make sure your child knows that it is important to tell an adult they trust if anything happens online that makes them feel scared, worried or uncomfortable.
• Be realistic. Banning the Internet or websites often will not work and it can make a child feel less able to report a problem or concern, so education around safe use is essential.
- Monday 25 October 2021 - Friday 29 October 2021 Half term
- Monday 8 November 2021 - 13:30 - 16:30 Parents' Evening for R, Y2, Y4, Y6
- Tuesday 9 November 2021 Parents' Evening for N, Y1, Y3, Y5
- Thursday 11 November 2021 Y5 Remembrance Assemly
- Friday 26 November 2021 INSET school closed to pupils
- Monday 20 December 2021 - Monday 3 January 2022 Christmas Holidays
- Tuesday 4 January 2022 INSET school closed to pupils
- Wednesday 5 January 2022 Children back in
- Monday 21 February 2022 - Friday 25 February 2022 Half Term
- Friday 18 March 2022 Red Nose Day
- Thursday 7 April 2022 - 09:15 - 09:45 Y4 Passover/Easter assembly
- Friday 8 April 2022 INSET school closed to pupils
- Monday 11 April 2022 - Friday 22 April 2022 Easter Holidays
- Monday 25 April 2022 Children return to school
- Friday 29 April 2022 Y1 Eid assembly
- Monday 2 May 2022 Bank Holiday
- Wednesday 4 May 2022
- Thursday 5 May 2022 Election Day - closed to pupils?
- Monday 30 May 2022 30/05/2022
- Monday 30 May 2022 - Saturday 4 June 2022 Half Term
- Friday 22 July 2022 - Sunday 4 September 2022 Summer Holidays